Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Boat #1! The BIG BLUE BOAT


We've finally made it! Our countdown is complete! We've traveled the world and arrived home just in time to wish Jonathan good luck as he embarks on his own adventure aboard the Big Blue Boat.

If you're new to this blog I've been counting down to the release date of my newest book Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat using boat and ship stamps from around the world. I began collecting boat stamps when I was 10 or 11 years old. This blog has really just been an excuse to spend a year doing something that I loved to do as a kid. I would recommend that everyone try this sometime.

So Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat releases today, June 7th. By the way, this is Jonathan:


In this story Jonathan heads out on a journey to find his missing bear, Frederick. This is Frederick:


Frederick also happens to be my bear too. I got Frederick when I was 3 years old. I took him everywhere. Here is Frederick helping me open presents on Christmas Day:

And here is Frederick (many years later) accompanying Erin and I on a road trip through bear country:

Here is Jonathan holding up Frederick so Frederick can see the Big Blue Boat:

When Frederick goes missing Jonathan boards the Big Blue Boat. A tugboat captain waves goodbye:
Jonathan makes new friends along the way—a mountain goat, a circus elephant, a whale:


They encounter trouble along the way. There are pirates:


And lifeboats:

Will Jonathan ever find Frederick? Find out at your local bookstore or library!

Making Jonathan was the most fun and rewarding creative adventure of my life so far. Although 365 Boats ends here I hope that my journey (and Jonathan's) will soon be your journey too.

But in the meantime...

You can read more about the creation of the artwork in Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat by heading over to Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast (my favorite internet meeting place for all things related to children's book illustration).

To watch a homemade book trailer for Jonathan simply click here. And to read a little bit about the creation of the book trailer just click here.

And of course you're welcome to stick around a while at 365 Boats and tour the world via the global postal system.

Safe travels,
Phil


7 comments:

  1. Hey Phil,
    Congratulations. I've enjoyed the ride. Looking forward to seeing the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful book! You did a great job. Thanks for sharing your process on seven impossible things as well. That was fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Philip! I'm a writer named Mac Barnett, and I'd like to get in touch with you, but I can't find any contact information, so I am abusing this comment forum and asking you to get in touch with me. I'm at mac@macbarnett.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on completing another wonderful book and a lovely blog. I am a parent at Barrow Street Nursery School in NYC. The children here absolutely love your books and would love to have you visit the school for a book signing and reading if at all possible? My email is illyjan@yahoo.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete